Thursday, March 19, 2009

Baked Eggs


Thursdays are my bum days and I've been dying to try this Baked Eggs Recipe. It turned out fantastic and it's super easy!

I really love 101 Cookbooks. That site and Tastespotting are currently battling it out as premier food site of my heart. My only beef with 101 Cookbooks is that it's vegetarian, and I'm not. You can find the full recipe by clicking the link above, but here are some modifications for meat eaters and people eating alone.
Here are my ingredients:
1 spinach onion corn tortilla
1/4 of an onion
3/4 of a roma tomato
1 large crimini mushroom
1 slice of bacon (yum!)
2 eggs
a pinch of cumin
a pinch of red pepper flakes
a pinch of salt

So, in Heidi's recipe, she has you make the topping first and then bake the eggs. To save time, I reversed it. I set the oven to 350 and cut circles out of the tortilla to make cups. I actually used the plate the baked egg is sitting on as a circle template. It's like 4 to 4 1/2 inches across.
Then I chopped up everything except the bacon, which I had to chop up later. So, my advice to self, is to do it now. I cooked the bacon for a minute in a small frying pan and then threw in the onion and the mushroom and some salt to let is cook in the rendered fat. It smelled amazing! The only thing I would change is to cook more of the fat out of the bacon (give it a few more minutes) before adding the other ingredients.
Around this point, the oven beeped, signaling that it was now fully heated and I put the tortilla rounds into my cupcake tin and cracked an egg into each cup. I set the timer for 15 minutes.
I seasoned the onion-mushroom mixture and then dumped my chopped tomato. I like the taste of raw tomato so I added it late so it would get the flavor of the pan with minimal cooking.
I took the eggs out of the oven and the whites had turned opaque but were still very wobbly. However, during the time it took to plate the food and clean up, they set.
I was pleased to see a little stream of yolk when I bit into it and used the excess tortilla to mop the yolk. I almost wished that I had cooked them a little less, because I really like runny yolks.
I had a little trouble finishing the second one, because they're really filling for being so small.
I would totally use 1 more mushroom next time, but overall I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

No comments: