Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Leftovers



Maxim's Veggie Surprise is one of the few dishes in my repertoire that my sister likes to eat. An added bonus is that my other sister will eat it too. The green tint of the dish is due to my aging camera. The sauce is actually a bright red and I've thought of Pixar's Ratatouille the last few times I've made it.
We made a big batch over the weekend (just days after we watched UP!) because it's super easy to make and provides for good leftovers. While we didn't have meaty mushrooms, we did add sweet corn which gave it a southwestern twist. Take that, Bobby Flay! In addition to having it over rice or on a bed of noodles, here are two other ways to eat this vegan tomato-based dish.

1.Make it un-vegan.

Tawny likes adding an egg to the cold dish and baking it in a hot water bath for fifteen to twenty minutes, until the egg is opaque. It's delish over rice or with toasted lavash bread.

2. Make it not vegetarian.

Melody was more than happy to eat it after Tawny and I made her a pizza with the Maxim-mix in place of spaghetti sauce on lavash bread. Then we added bites of rosemary Parmesan chicken and bits of prosciutto and lots and lots of mozzarella cheese.

No comments: